I have been a Very Bad Blogger in 2014, but an excellent reader. I aimed to have read 30 books this year and have managed to read 33 so far, with a few days of the year left, so I’m happy with that, but humbly apologise for neglecting this blog so badly. I really have no decent excuse. This has meant that I have read a number of books that haven’t been reviewed on this blog yet. I do hope to rectify this in 2015 and turn into a Slightly Better Blogger. Anyway, it’s now time to reflect on my reads over the last 12 months and provide my opinions, because I can!
The ones I loved
In no particular order, these are the books I read this year that I really enjoyed.
- The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs
- A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
- Animal Farm by George Orwell (can’t believe I’d never read this before)
- From France with Love by Nadine Williams
- Red Dog by Louis de Bernieres (an adorable little book)
- The Fictional Woman by Tara Moss (and a lovely author)
- Mr Mercedes by Stephen King
- New York by Edward Rutherford (very long, and many I know struggled, but I enjoyed it)
- The Long Hard Road Out of Hell by Marilyn Manson
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris
- Revival by Stephen King.
The ones that were poop
- Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes
- Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris
- Love and the Mystery of Betrayal by Sandra Lee Dennis
- Family Tree: The Novel by Andrea N Carr.
The strangest read
- Baise Moi by Virginie Despentes.
The overrated classic
- Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.
What I’m still in the middle of
- A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin
- Brahma’s Maze by Dr Immanuel Joseph
- Life in his Hands by Susan Wyndham (only started this yesterday).
I hope you’ve all enjoyed your reading this year! I have certainly had the pleasure of reading a mix of genres and quality and have enjoyed the experience, and thankfully I did not abandon any books this year. According to Goodreads, in 2014 I read 11,890 pages. I’m looking forward to more in 2015!
I’d like to take this opportunity to wish you all a safe and very happy New Year! Hope to see you all back here in 2015 🙂